Dayton United Methodist Church began when the Methodist circuit riders started classes in the township in 1830. The early Methodist classes met in the school house until the first church building was erected in 1843 at the corner of Harrison and Main streets in the town of Dayton.
The church relocated to the corner of Pennsylvania and Walnut streets in 1865, where the congregation remained until moving to its present location on Dayton Road, just south of State Road 38. A new church building was built on this site, and services were first held here on February 16, 1975.
The first Women’s Group at DUMC was organized in 1870. The first youth ministry began in 1944. Lay Witness Missions were an important part of the Church’s history, beginning in 1970. Dayton Church held its first successful Missions Conference in 1975. Our Senior Teens older adult ministry was started in 1990. The Dayton United Methodist Preschool was organized in 1991, and the Dayton United Methodist Daycare started in 1996.
The church grew dramatically during the 22-year ministry of Rev. Dr. John Walls, from 1988 to 2009. In 1995, a large addition was added, which included our Ministry Center. In 2002, the current sanctuary and offices were added.
Dayton Church began holding a Global Impact Celebration Missions Conference in 2006. Since that time the church has given over $100,000 per year to missions and sent numerous mission teams to Ghana, Africa, to India and to various projects locally and in the United States.
The current Lead Pastor, Mike Dominick, began in July of 2009. His ministry has continued the long tradition of Biblical preaching, love for Jesus Christ and service and mission.
God has faithfully blessed the Dayton UM Church, and we celebrate her long history.